Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day Thoughts

Today is Veteran's Day 2010.  I have friends, family of friends, and former High School classmates that have fought, are fighting, and have died for our country.  I am so grateful to them for their courage and sacrifice.  They are what make our country truly great.

On Veteran's Day, my thoughts inevitably turn to these brave men and women's families...especially their mothers.  A huge part of a mother's job is to keep their children safe from harm.  How many of us have described ourselves as "Mother Bears" when it comes to how fiercely we protect our children?  I cannot even imagine the torrent of emotions mothers of soldiers must go through when their children first tell them that they want to serve in the Military, or when they are deployed.

I would like to think that if either of my boys came to us and said they'd like to serve, I could be calm and rational.  However, at my age, I know myself pretty well.  I know my first reaction would be "No!  You're not allowed!"  It's not that serving in the Military isn't honorable, courageous, needed, and patriotic, it's dangerous.  My job is to protect them, right?  How do you get past the danger to support the good?  I don't know.  I would have to tamp down the "No!" before opening my mouth (and those of you that know me know that isn't easily done), and help my son make an informed decision, and support him in it.  I would be proud, just...terrifed.

Every single mother of boys that are physically able to serve the Military in this country face this hurdle when their son turns 18.  It is the law in our country that boys register with the Selective Service within 30 days of turning 18.  I won't even get into the discussion of why girls aren't required to register.  That's a whole other blog.  Yet, it is something that I, as the mother of two sons, cannot avoid.  I am not "lucky" that I have girls that don't have to register as a mother of all girls once told me she is.  I will have to face my fears when my boys turn 18.

So, on this  Veteran's Day, I want all Veterans, past, present and future to know that I appreciate them.  I applaud their bravery, support them in all they do, and pray for their safety.  I am forever grateful that because of their bravery and sacrifice that my sons don't have to serve, unless they want to.  I want those Veteran's mothers to know that I pray along side them, not only for the safety of their child, but for strength for them, their mothers.  For the mothers of our Veterans that are angels above, I pray for peace and comfort for you and your families.

Most of all on this Veteran's Day, I am thankful.  God Bless all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment